Filtering by folder level; Filter for max name & path le

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Filtering by folder level; Filter for max name & path le

Postby jmazor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:03 am

BRU is a wonderful, inspired program, that outshines the thirty or forth other programs I checked out!

One of the many features I like is in Section 11, allowing the user to filter the files/folders, and set Minimum Name and Path Lengths.

Suggestion 1: Allow the user to set the maximum number of recursive levels. Example, if MaxLevel = 3, the filter would show and limit the renaming to L1/L2/L3 but not show or change anything below that third level, e.g., L1/L2/L3/L4.

Suggestion 2: Allow for both minimum and maximum file names and path lengths.
jmazor

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:54 am

Great suggestions, I should be able to implement them both. All I need to do is find somewhere on the screen for the new fields to go!

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby jmazor » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:21 pm

Admin wrote:All I need to do is find somewhere on the screen for the new fields to go!

Thank you so much for your reply. Its funny, but on my screen, sections 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 9 and the ones below them "only" occupy the leftmost 80% of the screen. The rightmost 20% of the screen is empty.

Also, as to layout, perhaps you can look at the other ideas I just posted.

Thanks again!
jmazor

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:22 pm

The layout will be tidied a little in the next release, but it will never be perfect, as it's a nightmare to make all the controls fully-resizable.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pedro » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:58 pm

Congratulations for a wonderful utility.

Now, the report: BRU (2.2.7.1) unnecessarily goes deeper inside sub-folders when the user specified max path length was already exceeded. That results in a waste of time and, worse, breaks BRU when the Windows API file path length limit is exceeded.

So, it would be better to double check: never exceed both the user maximum and the windows API limit (about 250 Bytes).

I have a file structure at exceeds the silly Windows API path length limit. Probably that happened when file trees were moved inside others. I don't think it is a rare situation.

It is amazing, but not a surprise, that in Windows one can create a file structure that can not be parsed by the file system.

Regards,
Pedro

Postby Admin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:17 pm

can you give me example?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pedro » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:11 am

Thanks for such a quick reply!

My file tree is huge, so it is not very easy to show you.

But the problem can be easily reproduced:

1. Create a folder named "This is a folder with an awful very long name just to show the API limit"

2. Create an empty text file inside that folder. You may give it a long name, if you wish.

3. Make several copies (5 or 6) of the folder, just let Windows name them "Copy of ... etc".

4. Move copy N into copy N-1. Then move N-1 into N-2 and so on until you end up with just one folder.

5. Now you have a file tree that has a file in a path that violates the API 256 byte limit.

5. Run BRU on that folder. BRU will crash.

It seems, but I am not sure, that the problem only happens when you have a file in a folder that exceeds tha path limit. Looks like empty folders are no problem.

By the way, it is somewhat tricky to remove the last levels of that file hierarchy. Guess what? explorer crashes too. Just keep trying to remove, on second try it worked fine.

Cheers.
Pedro

Postby dele » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:23 pm

Hello Jim,

just an idea:
concerning the screen-size: maybe it could help, if you implement tabstrips and then group some functions into tabstrips.
For example, i only very seldom use the boxes 6,7,8.

regards dele
dele

Return to Suggestions