A Simple Change that will help A LOT.

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

A Simple Change that will help A LOT.

Postby thekramers » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:21 pm

This is an excellent program that has helped me a lot. There's only one thing that has been CONSTANTLY bothering me: the way it does numbers.

It counts like this: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

So windows, organizing alphabetically, then organizes those files like this: 1, 10, 11, 2, 3, 4, etc.

Imagine this scenario:

You take pictures with your camera of your family vacation. Your camera organizes them by date and time so they are in order.

You want to rename them using this program to: "Family Vacation - Year 2012- Photo x" where x is the number of the photo.

So you do that, but now, because of the way this program does numbers, all your photos are out of order and you have to reorganize them yourself. Defeating the purpose of using this program in the first place.

There should be an option to force alphabetical number counting.

It would look like this: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, etc.

The number of 0's at the beginning would be equal to the difference in digits there is from every number to the highest number that is counted to.

Honestly if I had the source code for this program, I could implement this easily. But I don't and I'm not going to recreate the entire program just to add this simple, yet necessary feature.

Please add this, it would be very easy and it would save me and I'm sure some other people a lot of time and hassle.
thekramers

How-to do Logical Sorting

Postby Stefan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:09 pm

Options Menu

Sorting > Logical Sorting

This option allows you to sort filenames according to the default Windows XP sort-sequence.
This allows files containing numbers to be sorted logically, e.g.1.txt, 2.txt, 10.txt, 11.txt, 21.txt.
The default sort-sequence for all operating systems earlier than XP is to use absolute sorting, e.g. 1.txt, 10.txt, 11.txt, 2.txt, 21.txt.

And please take care to use meaningful subjects next time you gonna post something somewhere.
"A Simple Change that will help A LOT." is not very meaningful.
Stefan

Re: A Simple Change that will help A LOT.

Postby bitmonger » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:13 am

The other feature thekramers missed was that BRU numbering DOES allow for having the numbers padded on the left with as many zeroes as needed to create exactly the sequence he said he wanted.
bitmonger

Return to Suggestions