Some simple to implement suggestions

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Some simple to implement suggestions

Postby BrianEno » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:18 am

Hey, Jim.
I have been using Bulk Rename for years, and I love it. I love it so much that I've decided to make some little suggestions to help. =]

First off, it would be nice having the keyboard to work like in windows explorer (enter opens folder/file, backspace moves up). And Ctrl+D (or Ctrl+F) would be better than Ctrl+J to change directories, since you can input it with only your left hand. Or having an address bar, maybe. Another thing that would be really, really useful: when you finish renaming something with F2 and press enter, it should automatically move to edit the next filename.

Maybe this one is already in there, but I couldn't find. In Import Rename Pairs, there should be a keycode to the previous filename, so that you can have access to the old filename instead of replacing it. Like %oldname or something similar.

The 16x16 icon of the application is nice in the .exe, it would fit well as the program icon for the taskbar too.
About the ViceVersa PRO advertisement, it is in a different color than that of my current windows theme, and it really pops out. I'm not against the advertisement at all, I just think it should be in a discrete font (not having bold parts) and fit the application's overall (or being hideable, too). It's not present in the 98SE, so I'm using it.

And, finally, for the new users, I think it should have an option of having tooltips enabled, giving a hint of how every box behaves (or having user-friendly hint balloons, so that people can easily figure out what to do before being scared). There should be an easy straightforward tip on how to rearrange 'Track - Artist' to 'Artist - Track' on RegEx, too.

Thanks, and be safe.
=]

Edit:
Just some other things I've thought. Are files/folders renamed when you drag them to a .bru profile? That would be great. Or when you drag them to the lower part of the screen.
I've never got the undo batch files to work. If it isn't just me, I think a proper bulk rename undo file would be nice, too.

Many thanks!
Last edited by BrianEno on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BrianEno

Re: Some simple to implement suggestions

Postby Stef » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:00 pm

I strongly agree with everything you suggested. Especially the part about shortcuts and the F2 Editing behavior.

Let me add that it would be nice to have the BRU context menu available also when sitting within a folder (as it used to be in older versions), and not just when I right-click on a folder.

Thanks for an otherwise excellent piece of software.
Stef

Postby mark » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi

These are good suggestions. I agree with you that there should be easier keyboard solutions for navigating and opening files. Sometimes it's a pain in the *ss to change to a specif folder you're already looking at with windows explorer just with your mouse. The new F2 behaviour would be great. The dragging to a *.bru operation doesn't look that simple to implement, but it's an interesting idea anyway.
mark

Postby BrianEno » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks for the support, everybody! =)

Just something important I've remembered: when you press F2 it should highlight ONLY the filename, not the extension, just like in Vista's Windows Explorer; most of the time you edit a file's name you want to leave the extension untouched. It can be an option, of course.
BrianEno

Postby raywood » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:58 pm

I'd like to see an Address Bar too. I'm going to various deeply buried subdirectories. Copying and pasting the address from Windows Explorer into BRU would make things faster. Thanks!
raywood

Postby Stefan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:36 pm

raywood wrote:I'd like to see an Address Bar too.
I'm going to various deeply buried subdirectories.
Copying and pasting the address from Windows Explorer into BRU would make things faster.
Thanks!
Try menu "Action > Jump to path Ctrl+J" to solve this issue.

You can also drag&drop an folder or an path from WinEx address bar into the file list windows of BRU
to collect the content of this folder in the file list windows of BRU.
You can collect many files from different folders that way.

To remove this files from the file list windows of BRU again,
simple go into an sub folder in that file list, or use "Actions > Refresh Files F5".

HTH? :D
Stefan

While on the subject of direct rename in V3:

Postby JMThomas » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:17 pm

BrianEno wrote:Thanks for the support, everybody! =)

Just something important I've remembered: when you press F2 it should highlight ONLY the filename, not the extension, just like in Vista's Windows Explorer; most of the time you edit a file's name you want to leave the extension untouched. It can be an option, of course.

While on the subject of direct rename in V3:

I miss being able to directly change a name by clicking on it (file or folder) al la XP. I also right-clicked on the item, but "rename" was not one of the multitude of options. Google suggested trying F2, which finally got the item open for editing.

If you insist on implementing the change from XP in Vista/Win7 that disabled "click on selected item to rename", please put "rename" back on the RB menu.

Thanks!
JMThomas

Re: While on the subject of direct rename in V3:

Postby Emerkamp » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:50 pm

JMThomas wrote:I miss being able to directly change a name by clicking on it (file or folder) al la XP. I also right-clicked on the item, but "rename" was not one of the multitude of options. Google suggested trying F2, which finally got the item open for editing.

Hello:
I have just suggested this in post, "Suggestions for v3".
The dev has said that he plans on adding it back to this new version. So Yaay for us.
Emerkamp

Return to Suggestions