Help With Crashes

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Help With Crashes

Postby AshB » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi,
Sorry for the long message in advance.
I'm using an old windows xp system over a limited network that needs to be archived so that it can be put onto a new system but their are ~8000 folders and files over the 260 char limit preventing me from doing this and their located in random folders across the drive.
We've a purchased a few licenses and I've created some javascript that renames certain words in order to help shorten the file path length and this affects ~7200 files with the remaining having to be done by hand as they are unique cases that need to bee checked first before changing e.g April shortened to Apr when a month but not for a name but this is just background information on what this project is and not the issue itself.

We have created a test folder that contains 204000 files/folders which it scans in 5 1/2 hours however when I go to select all to rename BRU freezes for a while and then crashes, I can try selecting them all using Shift Page Down but this only does 7 files a second so this isn't a viable alternative and using Shift end also causes it to crash.

Is their a way to either reduce the chance of a crash happening when the files are being selected, a quicker way to select the files after the scan other than shift Page down or is their a way to get the files to rename based on the naming conventions I have during the initial scan.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
AshB

Re: Help With Crashes

Postby Admin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:34 am

Hi, is this happening also if you disable the Javascript renaming? e.g. select the files but having no javascript renaming tick box set. thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby AshB » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Admin wrote:Hi, is this happening also if you disable the Javascript renaming? e.g. select the files but having no javascript renaming tick box set. thanks

Sorry only just saw this, I'll have to run it tomorrow and then reply in the afternoon to see if It happens as I don't have access currently.
AshB

Postby AshB » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:08 pm

I ran the search again and this time selected all with out the Javascript and it didn't crash, so then I added The JS and it still worked :D
Unfortunately I only managed to finish the search on a pc without a licence so I wasn't actually able to rename anything, but tomorrow the licensed PC should finish searching and then I can do the rename which I have a lot more confidence in.
AshB

Postby Admin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:27 am

Hi, let us know how it goes! thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby AshB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:28 pm

The search finished on the licensed machine and so I selected all, ticked the script box and then started the rename.
I accidentally cancelled the rename 20 minutes in when I alt tabbed out but I managed to rename about ~2000 objects successfully, though I did have to Jam a penny into the keyboard to hold down the enter key to automatically press ok to "system cannot find the path specified Ignore this error and continue " for objects that are still over the folder pathlength limit which I'll make a list of and then rename manually.

Is their a way to auto proceed for the error messages however as I'm expecting about 20000 of these messages when I have finished this for all live directory's (I'm scanning a total of 13,500,000 objects so this is much more manageable to deal with either manually or by changing name conventions than before using BRU)
AshB

Postby therube » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:38 pm

(Everything (1.4.1 Beta) makes finding [everything ;-)], including long paths a breeze.

path:len:>259

And in no time you've identified your problem locations. And if you're able to exclude certain directory trees based on that information, then come back to them separately...
Long path handling in Windows really sucks.)
therube

Return to BRU Support