Speed up file scanning

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Speed up file scanning

Postby Parduz » Mon May 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Hello from Italy.
I need to rename about 20K text files (hence, the "bulk" in the name is appropriate :) ) spread in a dir with subdirs.
When i click on the "subdirs" checkbox the program starts scanning and adding files to the gridlist.... but it is slow.
As a programmer, i know that updating the file gridlist each time a new file is found is slow, so i promplty iconized the program, saving a lot of time (but not knowing when the scan finishes).

So my suggestion is to avoid any refresh of the gridlist during the scan, and to show a standard progress bar (so the progress can be visible also in the windows bar when the app is iconized).
Thanks for the hard work :)
Parduz

Re: Speed up file scanning

Postby Admin » Tue May 16, 2017 1:37 am

Yes, you are right, there could be an option added not to update the interface constantly if the scan is expected to take a long time. It would be quite useful, thank you for the feedback! :)
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Speed up file scanning

Postby Axxo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Did anythin happened here? I rename thousends of files on my NAS. It take sometimes 15min or longer just to have one folder scanned and I'm never sure when it is finished. Isn't there any chance to at least implement kind of a green sign when scan is finished? This actually stopped me to use this tool more frequently as I missed to rename files due to nfinished scan.
Axxo

Return to Suggestions