Renaming camlCase and dates in file names

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Renaming camlCase and dates in file names

Postby TheEmu » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:46 pm

I use BRU extensively to rename files that I have downloaded from the web. It handles almost everything I need to do with two exceptions, these being

1) Converting from camlCase to more readable formats. To do this 1oo% accurately would probably be difficult because of embedded acronyms and other awkward cases but just supporting the automatic insertion of blanks between any lower case letter and a following upper case letter would greatly reduce the work that I now have to do separately for each file.

2) Changing the format of dates embedded in file names. Most of the file that I rename include a date in a fixed position in their file name (usually the first field after possibly removing a fixed length prefix). In many cases this can easily be renamed to my preferred date format, yyyy-mm-dd, by inserting hyphens or changing the separator and by prefixing with 19 or 20 if a two digit year number had been used. However, when different date formats are encountered the effort required to rename the files is much higher and an automatic way to convert a fixed field in each file name from one date format to another would be appreciated.
TheEmu

Re: camlCase and dates in file names

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:15 am

Hi, both type of renaming can be done with Javascript in BRU but they require a commercial license, thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Renaming camlCase and dates in file names

Postby TheEmu » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:38 pm

I was aware that it was possible to use BRU's Javascript renaming to do these things, but I could more easily accomplish the same ends by writing a Windows or Linux shell script or using Python. For me the whole point in using something like BRU is to avoid having to use scripts to do such simple things. You already support various case tranformations and adding camlCase to the list of supported file name styles would seem to be an obvious simple enhancement that many users would find useful.
TheEmu

Return to Suggestions