Rename files to a specific list of names?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Rename files to a specific list of names?

Postby Daisuk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:59 am

Hi there! I downloaded Bulk Rename Utility yesterday, and have tried to figure out how to do this. I did a search on the forum here, but found nothing (but I might be bad at searching, of course).

I have a device that reads wave files. It need the files to be named very specific names to be able to read them. It can only read 35 files at a time. I have thousands of files that I want to use with this device, but since I can only use 35 files at a time, I've been planning to make sets of these files. The files need to be named;

P1
P2
p3
P4
P5
P6
P7
P8
P9
PA
PB
PC

... etc.

Is there a way I can feed this list to BRU and have it rename the files I feed it in this way?

Any help would be much appreciated! :)
Daisuk

Re: Rename files to a specific list of names?

Postby Stefan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:49 pm

You can use the BRU "Renaming From A Text File" feature.

Code: Select all
                1. Select the folder which contains the objects you wish to rename.
                2. Select the files you wish to process (use CTRL or SHIFT to select multiple files).
                3.  Enter the renaming criteria.
                     Here, click the Import option on the File menu and load your file.
                     If the file is valid then you will see the "new name" column reflecting the contents of the text file.
                4. Hit the Rename button. (This button is not enabled unless you have selected one or more files/folders to rename!)

Bird.wav|P1.wav
Boing.wav|P2
Car.wav|p3.wav

You can create such list e.g. with a Spreadsheet app like Excel or a text editor.
First make a list of your wav files in DOS by utilizing something like " X:\Sounds\>Dir /b > WavList.txt"
Then open that WavList.txt in a Spreadsheet or a text editor, add the pipe sign | and append your P1,P2,P3 lines

- - -

More about Excel work >>>

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1271&f=3
Board index ‹ Bulk Rename Utility ‹ Regular Expressions >> renaming avi files to match srt files...

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2549
Board index ‹ Bulk Rename Utility ‹ BRU Support >> Group w/ same numbers, different letter
Stefan

Postby Daisuk » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:00 am

Hi! Thanks a lot for your suggestion and help. :) It seems like this process would be more laborious than just renaming the files individually though, so not really what I'm looking for. But thanks for the suggestion. :)
Daisuk

Postby Stefan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:08 am

Daisuk wrote: It seems like this process would be more laborious than just renaming the files individually though,

Hmm, not really, once you have tries it one or two times. As I have show there http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6743#p6743

Especially if
Daisuk wrote:... I have thousands of files ...

But each its own (or how that saying goes) :wink:

Stefan

Postby Daisuk » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:27 am

Hey! Thanks again for your response. :) If there's a quick way to generate the list of wave file names, without having to manually write them into an Excel sheet or a notepad document, it would definitely be worth it. But as long as I need to write in the names of the original files manually in a document, it would just take too long. Do you know of a quick way of generating a text list of file names?

Edit - or is that what the filelist.txt command does? Need to try that out. :) Been what, 20 years since I last used DOS, haha.
Edit 2 - indeed, it does! Sweet. Thanks, man. I need to try this out further. :)
Daisuk

Postby Stefan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:42 pm

Many thanks for feedback. Great you worked it out.
Stefan

Postby Daisuk » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Just in case someone in the future would like to know how to do this the simplest way - a program called Advanced Renamer can do it really easily. Just load in your list, and load in whichever files you want, and instant rename by the press of a button. Very sweet. :)
Daisuk

Postby ronald223 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:42 am

I also use bulk rename utility soft for this familiar work. Easily rename a lots of images with is a short time...
ronald223

Postby jonathanF » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:27 pm

This is a great software. But for solving your trouble you can check my free software compatible for all platform and free to use. Go to your google search page and type- BatchRenameFiles Tool. Check the first google result.

Thanks
Jonathan F
jonathanF

Postby Panchdara » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:35 pm

jonathanF wrote:This is a great software. But for solving your trouble you can check my free software compatible for all platform and free to use. Go to your google search page and type- BatchRenameFiles Tool. Check the first google result.

Thanks
Jonathan F

BatchRenameFiles:

1) IT AIN'T FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
2) This NOT an advertising stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x
3) Why would anyone want the bronze when BRU is the GOLD?! :shock:
Panchdara

Return to BRU Support