How do I add date time exif info to front of filename

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How do I add date time exif info to front of filename

Postby beano » Tue May 02, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm new to Bulk Rename Utility, so please forgive if this is wrong place to ask.
I have JPEG photo files like P1000082 83 etc. I want to get the original date taken (exif data?) and add it to the front of each filename, like YYYYMMDD.
I just cant work out how to do it.
Not clear whether I need to use the Javascript thing or not (might hope not!).
Also never used Javascript as such so not clear exactly what I would need to code to do what I want.
Please can someone help me?
thanks
beano

Re: How do I add date time exif info to front of filename

Postby KenP » Wed May 03, 2017 11:30 am

You don't need JavaScript to do what you want :wink:

Before starting, from the menu bar make sure that "Renaming Options / ID3/Exif Data.. / Extract Exif Data (Photos)" is checked.

Auto Date (8)
Mode: Prefix
Type: Taken (Original)
Fmt: Custom
Custom: %Y%m%d

If you want to leave a space or underscore or any other character between the date and the file name just add it to the Custom field, for instance an underscore after the date would be "%Y%m%d_", a space after the date would be "%Y%m%d ".

You can also add characters in the date if you want, for instance if you wanted the date shown as YYYY-MM-DD the Custom field would be "%Y-%m-%d"

There's a list of pre-made date formats in the Fmt field drop down list, but to get the long YYYYMMDD you've asked for you'll need to use the custom date format I've shown above.
KenP

Postby beano » Wed May 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Many thanks Ken that's great, works fine, just what I wanted. I'd tried various things but none seemed to work. I should have been more rigorous in my testing (like I'm always telling others to be!). Very useful utility. I tried to add a smilie here but cant get it to work, just get :D ...must be something else I'm doing wrong !
beano

Postby blue993 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm

Hello

I have a similar problem. I am trying to rename around 1500 photos that I downloaded from an icloud photo stream. The above solution works for me, but only for about 1200 of the 1400 pictures. theremaining about 200 have for some reason no date in the field "Taken (original)". However, when I look at the files with the windows file manager, they all have a date (and the one I want) under "date". How can I access / use that date that is being shown in windows file manager? I tried all options under "type" but none seems to work?
blue993

Postby Emerkamp » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:53 am

Hello:

You might have your date written in a different spot. It might be written into XMP or IPTc. It might of been stripped when uploading it, some sites do this.

To find this out you can use a tool like Geosetter that can use exif-tool to read and tell you where your date was written. It can also
sync your dates across all 3 metadata standards, if needed.

XnviewMP uses exif-tool also.
All 3 Apps are Free
Emerkamp

Return to BRU Support