A bug with version 3.0.0.1

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

A bug with version 3.0.0.1

Postby RMikeS » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi.

I'm a long time user, but I have just join the site. I'm sorry if someone has already pointed this out but I tried to look through the ginormous list of comments etc. as well as doing a search for the info and didn't find it, so here is my 2 cents worth:

When I highlight a list using the up or down arrow while holding down the shift key, the last item in the list doesn't rename. It is highlighted but gets left out of the group when I hit the rename button. The app works perfectly if I use the mouse and the shift key to highlight a list. I am aware of this but keep forgetting about it because the last version I used (2.7.1.2) worked correctly in this function.

Otherwise, it remains a great utility.

Mike
RMikeS

Re: A bug with version 3.0.0.1

Postby therube » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:23 pm

Mentioned here, Problem with selection, but I'm not able to duplicate on my end.

Could you give more specific steps to reproduce?
therube

Postby therube » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:29 pm

OK, maybe this...

I happened to be selecting all items in the list, using keyboard, first to last.
That looks to work correctly.

Selecting only a subset of files, I did duplicate.

I selected 11 files.

> Status bar says, 45 objects (11 selected)
> Rename dialog said, 12 selected
> After rename, dialog said, 10 renamed

10 of the 11 were in fact renamed.
The last item selected was not renamed.
therube

Postby therube » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:32 pm

And again...

Selected 10 files (by keyboard)

Status bar, (10)
Rename dialog (11)
After rename (9)

Result: 9 items renamed out of 10 selected.
therube

Postby therube » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:36 pm

And again...

Selected 10 files (by mouse, click first, Shift+click on the last)

Status bar, (10)
Rename dialog (10)
After rename (10)

Result: 10 items renamed out of 10 selected.
therube

Postby therube » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:49 pm

But there's something else going on...

I think it is if you "overshoot" the ending item, then back up.
Yes, that looks like it.
And you can actually see it.

So select, 1,2,3,4, & while still holding down the shift key, then back up -1, so only 3 items are selected.

Now look at the highlights.

Blue highlight shows 3.
Status bar shows 3.

Look at the New Name column.
The first two items show that they will be renamed.
The third item shows no change - even though it should be renamed per the rename criteria.

Now go to Rename:

Rename dialog shows 4 - did not adjust for the change made by backing up 1 (-1)
OK, 2 items process, which is "correct" at least per what it was showing it was doing.
3 items were highlighted, the New Name only reflected 2, & only 2 were actually renamed.

User expects that the 3 highlighted items would also result in New Names of 3 items, & the actual rename to rename 3 items.

Bug.
therube

Postby Pixels303 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:14 pm

I can vouch for this error. I too have observed it.
Range selecting with shift arrow omits last entries for rename.

Small bug.

As well, the software has access through the right mouse click a file delete option, but when you right mouse click on a rage of selections it fails to delete the range of files.

Also, if you do delete the file, one at a time works but remains in the list until you reload the list by re-selecting the host folder. Might be a feature having this design, or not, but it is unusual to keep a file in a list if it is deleted.

So far your utility has come in handy replacing all the periods with white spaces in my collections of files. Until now, I have been manually doing this, at the expense of hours of typing.
Pixels303

Postby JMM » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:10 pm

I can easily watch this bug in action, just looking at the New Name column. Steps:
Select any criteria easy to see, e.g. all name in uppercase. Click on any file. With the keyboard press shift+down arrow twice. Three files are selected, and in the New Name column three files are changing names. Now press shift+up arrow once. Two files are selected, but in the New Name column only the first file is changing name.

Moreover, if you click any file, and then shift+click any other file above, and then press shift+down, the topmost file is selected, but its name is not changed. It doesn't matter how you select the files, it appears when you reduce the selected list with the arrow keys.

In short, this bug appears when selecting consecutive files on the list using shift plus up/down arrows, and you're reducing the list. Although it is selected, the last file (from the direction you're reducing the list) will not be renamed.
JMM

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:57 am

Yes, this will be fixed in the next release.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions